apply to intern with unrwa usa
Position Title: Communications and Development Intern
Reports to: Director of Communications
Session: Spring Semester, February-May 2017, expected start date is mid to late February 2017
Want to learn more about how nonprofits raise funds and communicate with their supporters? We are looking for a candidate with a balance of communications experience and an understanding of the Middle East and current events in the occupied Palestinian territory, Jordan, Lebanon, and Syria.
The communications team at UNRWA USA is responsible for the organization’s overall outreach, including design, developing messaging and fundraising appeals, media relations, social media, and grassroots communications. This internship offers the opportunity to learn external communications and development strategies at a small nonprofit that has a national presence and international mission.
- Assist in writing and editing materials such as press releases, website content, and talking points;
- Curate and write content for UNRWA USA’s blog, Voices of UNRWA;
- Research on issues affecting Palestine refugees;
- Support the monitoring and evaluation of our social media channels and campaign analytics;
- Build and maintain press lists for local and national media;
- Assist with donor stewardship and cultivation, including donor and prospect research;
- Develop relationships with university and community groups across the country;
- Assist with data entry and list maintenance;
- Collaborate on preparations for events, including our signature Gaza 5K walk/runs;
- Other tasks related to graphic design, photography, videography, social media, and content formatting.
- At least a junior in, or recently graduated from, an undergraduate or graduate program in communications, journalism, public relations, international studies, or a related field;
- A commitment to the mission of UNRWA USA;
- Must demonstrate outstanding writing, communication, editing, and proofreading skills;
- Must be creative, resourceful, passionate, and highly detail-oriented;
- Must be able to manage multiple projects and meet strict deadlines;
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator);
- Demonstrated understanding of Israel-Palestine issues and the Middle East. Interest in refugee issues and the United Nations is a plus.
Through this internship you will gain insight into communications and fundraising in the nonprofit world. You will be introduced to the work of UNRWA, the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East. Interns work closely with all staff and have the opportunity to significantly contribute to the growth of UNRWA USA. You will leave this internship with invaluable communications and fundraising skills, plus industry knowledge that will set you apart from your peers. We’re a young, fun, and innovative staff who value creativity, so create with us!
Hours: 20-30 hours/week
Location: 1875 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20009, Red Line/Dupont Circle
Compensation: $500 stipend per month
To Apply: Applicants must submit a resume, writing sample (additional design portfolio preferred but not required), and two references by Wednesday, February 22, 2017. Materials should be emailed to Laila Mokhiber, subject: Communications and Development Intern